Sunday, March 6, 2011

Caught Cherry Blossom Fever

My Mandarin class started last week-- most of my classmates are like me -- we spoke a bit of Mandarin growing up with our families but can't really read or write.  Also, half of my classmates are Californian's and went to Cal!  I've met nice French folks, Japanese folks, and Belgians so far, too.  I have class M-F for 3 hours and we are supposed to study 4 hours each day too....

Anyway, here are some more pictures!

(Guang Hua) Bright Flower Digital Electronics Plaza -- I think it was about 4 floors of booths -- takes cash only and is cheaper than going online and you can haggle if you know how.  My auntie helped me get a little tripod included and a discount on a memory card, too.   Each store is just a little booth -- so many!!  One of Taiwan's major industries is manufacturing electronics.







Chiang Kai-shek Memorial -- He was the President of the Republic of China (Taiwan) from 1950 to 1975.










National Theater Hall - Haven't had a chance to see a performance here yet.











Street in Taipei

Everyone loves Cherry Blossoms it seems like.  There are always people taking pictures of the blossoms/with the blossoms.  They sure are pretty indeed.  Prepare for many cherry b. pictures.









Wedding of my Uncle's brother's daughter.













2010-2011 International Flora Expo
Too many people! We just went in, followed my Auntie around a bit and pretty much only saw people, no flowers...haha -- we'd have to wait in line for too long.  I did get to see this building envelope of reused plastic bottles...



Uncle (A-dieu) and more cousins (male = biau guh and female = biau jie and his wife = sou sou) and cousin's kids!




Heading up Guanyin Mountain on a beautiful Peace Day.  Cherry
Blossoms!


On top of Guanyin Mountain, named after Guanyin Bodhisattva because the mountain range is said to look like her laying down.  I couldn't see it...Here's a view from the top of Dansuei River - too bad it was foggy that day.
This trail we took was called Yinghan (strong man) trail.  The army used to train here.

Elaborate temple in Lin-Ko (just west of Taipei).  Temples take years and years to complete.  There are many many carvings and statues surrounding the temple and each are a little different.
 


Blue Dragon Horse- cool!

Cherry blossoms



Pictures from YangMingShan (YangMing Mountain).  Taipei is in a valley surrounded my mountains except for the Danshui river to the West.  YangMingshan National Park is a bus-ride away to the north of Taipei.


There are cute dogs lounging around all over Taiwan.  I've also seen them riding scooters (with their owners haha) and wait for the crosswalk.


Signs in Taiwan are so cute but take them seriously if you can :).  Definitely is slippery - Taiwan is humid and wet -- the rocks/steps are covered with slippery moss.


Favorite lunch was on the mountain in an old greenhouse -- the mountain veggies were so fresh and delicious! Tiny bowls in Taiwan...
I liked seeing the pink blossoms scattered in the green mountainside.

Fumaroles at Xiauyoukeng.

Everybody loves Cherry Blossoms!


2 comments:

  1. Aww jenny I love the buildings! And the dogs haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pix! How funny that several of your classmates are from Cal!

    ReplyDelete